Andrew Mason is an American businessman and entrepreneur. Mason is the founder and former CEO of Groupon, a website offering users discounts on local businesses.
Mason grew up in a Jewish family in Mount Pittsburgh.He graduated from Mt. Lebanon High School in 1999 and started a Saturday morning delivery service called “Bagel Express” when he was aged 15.
Andrew was at Northwesterrn University studying music. He left after he had the chance to get an investment to kick start one of his ideas.
1) Your new business Detour, what is it?First, imagine a tour – now throw your imagination away, because that’s what we did with the status quo. That’s what Detour is, check it out: http://www.detour.com
2) Groupon is known worldwide, what made it stand out from it’s competitors in a very busy industry?
Attitude – we didn’t take any s**t from anyone. People love that.
3) What inspired you to found two successful companies in Groupon and Detour?
I was flying a kite in the rain – I know, dumb – but it worked out really well. Lightning struck the kite and along with the electrical shock came the idea that I should start successful companies.
Andrew’s letter to Groupon employees after his dismissal as CEO
After four and a half intense and wonderful years as CEO of Groupon, I’ve decided that I’d like to spend more time with my family. Just kidding – I was fired today. If you’re wondering why… you haven’t been paying attention. From controversial metrics in our S1 to our material weakness to two quarters of missing our own expectations and a stock price that’s hovering around one quarter of our listing price, the events of the last year and a half speak for themselves. As CEO, I am accountable…
4) Is online shopping the future of shopping?
The problem with online shopping is that you can’t actually see the product before you purchase it. I think there’s a certain novelty of clicking buttons and having something arrive in a box, but the same with bell bottoms.
5) What advice would you give to young entrepreneurs who want to start an online company?
Do what you love!
We would like to thank Andrew for speaking with us.